2011年9月13日火曜日

Summer Reading Book Reaction

          The Giver by Lois Lowry

          I chose this book, because I have heard the name of the book and it says, “There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community” for the synopsis of the book. I could not get the meaning, so I was interested in and wanted to read the story.
          The main character of the story is Jonas, who lives in the Community and 11 years old. He is excited to be 12, because he will be assigned for a job. When he becomes 12, he is assigned for the Receiver of the Memory. It is very special job for the community, so that Jonas is afraid of having the job. Jonas receives a lot of memories from the Giver, like snow, sunshine, color, and even feelings. It is all that the community does not have and they cannot see any colors. People in the Community takes pills to stop their emotional feelings. All because of the thinking way of "sameness". Jonas begins to have questions about the community and he escapes from the community for change them.
         I liked the part, which Jonas receives memories. Especially, when he receive the memory of the color or feeling of Love. At first I was surprise that they do not have colors and some kind of feeling. At the same time, I could not image the Community and interested in the story more. I did not like the part, which Jonas gets the memory of the feelings of anger or pain, and memory of the war. However, it shows importance of the knowing those things. This book made me think about the "sameness". At first, I thought sameness is not good for our life, because we should have individual and we should have chance to choose by our own opinion. However, if there are organized by sameness, we will not have fight or feeling of hates. I thought it would be nice to have sameness for some time at the right point, but I do not really know nor it may be different thinking by person to person. 
          I really enjoyed the book, "The Giver", so I hope my section mate will read it someday in the future.


4 件のコメント:

  1. It is hard to image the situation in the book, but the theme is interesting. Although I thought that "sameness" is meaningless, I was convinced of your comprehension.

    I want to read this book if I am free!!

    返信削除
  2. I read The Giver too!
    I was also surprised to know that they didn't have colors at first.

    Anyway, the design of your blog is cool.

    返信削除
  3. When reading this book,I also cannot imagine life without any colors. this book gives us a new perspective on freedom.

    返信削除
  4. Nice reaction to The Giver, Aqua. Well-written and insightful!

    I think the dilemma of "sameness/stability" vs. "choice/risk/pain" exists in Japan as well. What do you think?

    返信削除